Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Problem Set No. 1

Hi Class,
I just wanted to clarify for you the thermo you need to discuss in your email. For my example, I'll use the steam engine. So, just as Dr. Shell mentioned in class, do not pick this as your example.

Foremost, you want to discuss the thermo embodiment in your example. You can discuss: different transformations in energy, driving forces, phase changes, connection of entropy, etc.
My example - Heat flows from the hotter firebox to the colder boiler, making chemical energy in fuel transform into mechanical energy in machinery...

Also, you want to discuss a possible thermo analysis aspect of your example (something that would be interesting to calculate if implementing the example). You can discuss: optimum operating conditions, energy efficiency, amount of heat/work, solubility limits, etc.
My example - It would be interesting to calculate the required operating temperature of the firebox and boiler that yields the optimum energy conversion efficiency...

In any case, the entire goal of the assignment is to have you communicate in a scientifically proper way. So, you will be mostly graded for language/format. I don't have official office hours this week, but if you have any questions, feel free to contact me by email or to stop by my office.
Cheers,
Avi

No comments: